Byculla, 1918

 

 




Note written by Frederick McGill (1910-1975) - Adeline McGill's father


Eva McGill (née Cummings 1880-1924)


Arthur Alfred McGill (1864-1933)

Byculla, 9/7/18


My darling Arthur,


My thanks for your loving letter


I am glad you sent Charley that Rs20/- by wire, I wonder why he is so hard up at this time of the month. I did not wire him the money as I did not have it at home to send him. I will send you two pairs of socks tomorrow by book post, they are warm ones hope they will reach you alright.

I wonder what Gillespie is doing or going to do, I am sure he will do something soon. I only hope that we will not get into trouble over all this. I am sending you a p.6 to see whom you are to write to about the house rents etc.. Please return it when you are finished with it. These people had their rent raised by Rs10/-. So after writing in about the rent, their rent was reduced again for them. Mrs Sares gave it to me for you to see. She too is going to fight Gillespie and have her rent reduced if she can manage it. I will send you  Eric and Maurice’s measurements soon, please hurry up about the girl’s pairs, then make them start on the boys pairs.


Archie too wants a good pair made for himself before you leave Allahabad. Please also don’t forget to buy some guava jelly when you are returning home. The children quite enjoyed the stuff you sent down by Leslie. Glad to say that all are keeping well so far no one has had fever since then. Hope you have got a bottle of rum by this and that you are taking it every night. You said that you were going to see the Dr? What did he say? 

Hope all will go well with you. Mrs Day’s son wrote and asked Leslie to come up to Allahabad and stay with them. Leslie says he would like to go & stay with them for a time & then go on to Gazipore with a friend there. Freddy and Maurice are looking out for you and always asking when you will get your holiday. Phyllis seems to know something about you returning & asked me the other day if it was so. I put her off and said no I have told no one about your going to return soon.

Will close as I want to write to Archie also, he will be returning home due (?) at about the 15th of this month.

With our best love and kisses for your own darling self


Your ever loving wife


Eve












Comments

Popular Posts